2593. EBB to RB
As published in The Brownings’ Correspondence, 13, 352–353.
Wednesday night [9 September 1846]
Dearest, you are a prophet, I suppose—there can be no denying it. This night, an edict has gone out, and George is tomorrow to be on his way to take a house for a month either at Dover, Reigate, Tunbridge, .. Papa did “not mind which,” he said, & [“]you may settle it among you” .. but he “must have this house empty for a month in order to its cleaning”—we are to go therefore & not delay–
Now!—what can be done? It is possible that the absence may be longer than for a month, indeed it is probable—for there is much to do in painting & repairing, here in Wimpole Street, more than a month’s work they say. Decide, after thinking– I am embarrassed to the utmost degree, as to the best path to take. If we are taken away on monday .. what then?
Of course I decline to give any opinion & express any preference,—as to places, I mean. It is not for my sake, that we go:—if I had been considered at all, indeed, we should have been taken away earlier, .. & not certainly now, when the cold season is at hand– And so much the better it is for me, that I have not, obviously, been thought of.
Therefore decide! It seems quite too soon & too sudden for us to set out on our Italian adventure now—& perhaps even we could not compass——
Well—but you must think for both of us– It is past twelve & I have just a moment to seal this & entrust it to Henrietta for the morning’s post.
More than ever beloved, I am
your own Ba
I will do as you wish—understand.
Address: Robert Browning Esqre / New Cross / Hatcham / Surrey.
Postmark: 10FN10 SP10 1846 E.
Docket, in RB’s hand: 273.
Publication: RB-EBB, pp. 1057–58.
Manuscript: Wellesley College.
1. Date provided by postmark.