[Bonchurch—Sunday, 17 July 1859]

Sunday the 17th Went to the little church below the hotel. Walked towards evening into the tiny chapel where Dr Adams the author of the Shadow of the Cross &c. used to preach. The grave-yard is singularly impressive, so quiet here, so flowery, yet on the very borders of the deep blue sea where restless ghosts might count the slow-dropping hours of the night by its ebb and flow.


National Endowment for the Humanities - Logo

Editorial work on The Brownings’ Correspondence is supported by the National Endowment for the Humanities.

This website was last updated on 4-18-2024.

Copyright © 2024 Wedgestone Press. All rights reserved.

Back To Top